Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I go about changing the current steering wheel on my car?

I recently purchased a used 02 Honda Civic Coupe that has a customized steering wheel instead of the standard steering wheel.





How do I find a stock steering wheel for my Honda and who should I see for the operation of switching the steering wheels. Furthermore, what is the price range of such an operation?





Thank you very much for your answers.|||I would get a price from Honda first. The car%26#039;s not that old, they might be able to get it for you. Or you can try your local auto recycler. Look in the Yellow Pages for several in your area and call around. It%26#039;s a very common car.


Any general mechanic can do the job, you could too if you wanted. The Chilton or Haynes manual will tell you how. Look at the aftermarket wheel, see if you can find a manufacturer- go to their website. There should be directions for installation that are downloadable there, just reverse them for removal.


Pricing, well I was looking on ebay for you- the steering wheel isn%26#039;t that expensive, but you must also buy the air bag. The wheel was $50 plus 12 shipping, the airbag was $75 plus 25 shipping. Mechanic may get up to $90 per hour. He/She may hit you for 2 hours, but I think it%26#039;s a 1 hr job. So figure between $300- $400. Good Luck!|||Any garage can do it.


The prime safety factor that I know of is the air bag system. Other wise I would say you could do it alone.


The best place to find the part is in a local salvage yard.


http://www.car-part.com/|||No problems changing the wheel back and it%26#039;s easy to do it yourself. Go to any parts store and get a steering wheel puller and to the salvage yard for a used wheel. Watch them pull the wheel if possible to see where everything goes and put it together the same. One problem is you need to know if your car had a factory air bag. If so it will be a dealer install item and very expensive. Puller $15, Steering Wheel $20, DIY=PRICELESS.