Thursday, October 6, 2011

Are boat steering wheels universal? Can I change the one I have for something I buy at an autoparts store?

My steering wheel on my boat is completley rusted. It looks like a classic Grant 13%26quot; steering wheel (it's not a grant it just looks like one). First off the steering wheel is to small and hard to turn. Second it just doesn't look good. So I want to see if I just pick one up at an auto parts store or off the internet from a boating store.
Are boat steering wheels universal? Can I change the one I have for something I buy at an autoparts store?
Unless you intend on replacing your entire steering system, you need to get one that matches your helm. A Mustang steering wheel will not fit a Teleflex helm. There is a big difference between the steering column on a car and a helm on a boat. If you try to adapt one, you will be making a big mistake that you will realize when you least want to, like coming into a dock and finding that your turning the wheel and the boat isn't steering
Are boat steering wheels universal? Can I change the one I have for something I buy at an autoparts store?
Get one at a marine supply store. You might be able to adapt an automotive one but one intended for marine applications will be easier to install and will last much longer.
Autopart srores often handle marine stuff. The steering wheel has to fit the shaft of the steering head. There are several variations made. Check to make sure.
go to boat shop for wheel, car wont work. 13%26quot; is right dia. hard steering is not the fault of wheel. most likely hard steering is faulty cables.