Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do I have to change out the steering column to repair the linkage to the automatic transmission?

I have a 1971 Ford F250 automatic transmission pick up truck. The transmission lever on the steering wheel no longer works. I manually switched the gears by hand under the truck and it appears to go into gear in the transmission. I'm 99% sure the problem lies within the steering column.



I have never fixed a problem like this before. My question is, will I need to replace the steering column or is it possible to remove, fix, and replace the broken parts within the steering column. If it is possible to fix the problem without getting a new steering column will I be able to fix it while leaving the steering column in place.
Do I have to change out the steering column to repair the linkage to the automatic transmission?
yes they make all the parts you need to re-build that steering column with ,but you will have to remove it to get to all of it,id re-build the whole thing it only cost around 80 bucks to put everything new in it,and this will take care of it,you can go to this web site for parts they have all the parts you,ll need,its lmctrucks.com.type it in ,its a good site,good luck with it.
Do I have to change out the steering column to repair the linkage to the automatic transmission?
sounds like a good idea,good luck.

Report Abuse