Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thumping coming from the front end of my 98 Ford Contour, steering wheel shaking!?

I have a 98 Ford Contour with 95k miles. Just recently after driving it for 2 hours from somewhere that was about 95 degrees to somewhere that was about 60 I started to hear a thumping noise coming from my front end when I drive over 30mph. The thumping is also accompanied by my steering wheel shaking. I do have some pretty old front tires that are due to be changed. Could this have anything to do with my tires or has anyone heard of anything else?
Thumping coming from the front end of my 98 Ford Contour, steering wheel shaking!?
Does it get worse when you go around a corner?? A thumping on a FWD car is usually bad CV joints, get it fixed or you'll be stranded.
Thumping coming from the front end of my 98 Ford Contour, steering wheel shaking!?
to the auto shop for sure
maybe you got a busted belt in your tire - that can cause all sorts of noises shaking shimmy etc.





BTW: CV joints click when they are going bad (MOST of the time) there is allways exceptions to the rule
your Brake Rotors are warped - you might be able to have the imperfections ground out, but you may have to replace them ($20-60 each).



Take it easy on your brakes - don't drive so fast Brake rotors usually warp because they are getting too hot (too much braking, or braking hard after they've gotten wet).
sounds like you have a busted wheel bearing.



a cv joint will make noise , but mostly when your making turns.



if your rotors are warped it will shake when you use your breaks but not when your driving.



could maybe be a broken tie rod.
Check out your tires 1st, sounds like knot on a tire, usually caused by hitting a curb,etc. also try and have them re-balanced, if their is a knot, it can not be balanced.
It is most likely the rotors. Make sure they check your calipers too. I just had this problem with my vehicle.