Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why does my steering wheel shake intermittently (like every 20-30 seconds) when I drive over 60mph?

I have a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon, its a manual transmission and I just recently fixed 2 flats on it. The tires were balanced at the shop before I put them on. Now when I drive over 60 mph my steering wheel shakes but not the whole time. It shakes about every 20-30 seconds. Also, my check engine light came on. I checked my engine coolant and it was really low so I put more in. Also I need to get an oil change asap...Could this maybe be the reason for the shaking?? Any ideas??
Why does my steering wheel shake intermittently (like every 20-30 seconds) when I drive over 60mph?
Your tires are out of balance.You can drive slower and they are OK and faster than the speed you mention and they are OK .Its just at this certain speed. As for your ck eng lt loosen your gas cap and then retighten it at least 3 cliks and restart eng
Why does my steering wheel shake intermittently (like every 20-30 seconds) when I drive over 60mph?
Have your vehicle inspected by a qualified professional.



If your tires are unbalanced, the vibration would occur consistently at a certian speed, not every 20-30 seconds.



A loose suspension component is the most likely culprit
have someone check your CV joints
Have your tires and wheels high speed balanced at a shop that does mostly tire work, (i.e. Firestone, Les Schwab, Goodyear, etc.) you may have lost one or more of the wheel weights. Low coolant levels and needing an oil change have nothing to do with the shacking you are feeling.
The oil change should not be cause of the shaking, that is probably the balance. You likely threw a weight. or you could have a tire going bad,you should have the shop check them and if it is not balance then have them check the suspension and so on. It is not good and can lead to bad tire wear and control problems under certain circumstances.
Sounds like either the tires or the wheel alignment.
Here is your answer for sure. You have a worn out ball joint.
Can't imagine why the coolant could cause the shaking. If your oil level is normal that shouldn't be it.



If the problem started with the change of tires. I would start there. You swap the tires to the back and see if that makes it go away.



I would also check the lug nuts make sure the wheels are indeed on tight. One wheel could be fluttering. Flutter is an instability and therefore may not be there at all times.



If you take the wheels and tires out of the equation I would look at the power steering pump.
either ur wheel alingment is off or u got a low tire it could b sumthin eles but doesnt sound like it have ur mechanic check it out
you could need an alignment,



make sure the tires are all the same size, and inflated properly.
perhaps the tires are out of balance, to be safe I'd have it checked out.
check those tires look over real good maybe a weight come off or could be tire about to go
CV Joint or wheel alignment
I would suggest rechecking getting you tires balanced. Sometime they don't do it correctly. For me they never do...
Did you hit something like a curb etc. when you had the 2 flats?? maybe you bent a rim , Or maybe a wheel bearing ? %26quot;O%26quot;
Three reasons you may be getting the vibration are:

1. Your wheels may be out of balance because some of the balance weights fell off. There is usually a weight on the outside of the rim where it is easy to see and one on the inside edge where you have to crawl under the car to see it.

2. Your brake rotors are out of balance which means you will need to balance the tires on the car or replace the rotors.

3. The tires may be damaged (not round or some belt separation), try putting the rear tires on the front and see if that helps.



The reason the vibration may not be occurring all the time is that the front tires may be different sizes due to different air pressures or they are different brands or models. If they rotate at different speeds, they will sometimes work together to shake the steering wheel when they are %26quot;in phase%26quot; and they will sometimes fight each other when they are %26quot;out of phase%26quot;. Even if they are the same size they can go in and out of phase due to driving around corners since the tire on the inside of the turn does not have to roll as far.
  • vb
  • hair ideas
  •