Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm experiencing very loud vibrating/rumbling noises on my Renault Laguna when driving and steering what is it

It is a well used car (200k miles). The problem does not appear to be one with the engine. There is a loud rumbling noise that is occuring which seems to change in volume when the steering wheel is moved. The noise is pretty bad and sounds as if you are driving over rumble strips. I have checked the power steering liquid and that is full and I am quite worried about driving it. I would just like some advice as to what the problem could be. Any help would be much appreciated.



many thanks.
I'm experiencing very loud vibrating/rumbling noises on my Renault Laguna when driving and steering what is it
I think you have a blown, or shifted belt in the tire. If you have steel belted, it is difinite. If you have nylon, rayon bias belted, the defect in the tire is in the side wall. If the rumble was in the swaying of the tire, then it would be on the bottom, and that condition, is called tracking. Do ypou feel any irregular feeling in the steering wheel, ex. right to left movement, then the problem is in the front wheels. If you feel a troubbing, in the seat of the car, then your bad tire is in the rear tires. replace as necessary.
I'm experiencing very loud vibrating/rumbling noises on my Renault Laguna when driving and steering what is it
It sounds to me like a wheel bearing. I believe they are double row angular bearings, and one race can fail. This is often dure to the seal failing and letting water in.

The change in noise when cornering points to a bearing, as this will change the thrust load.

It might not be obvious from spinning the wheel, or rocking the wheel, as on of the races could be okay.