Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I have a 1997 cavalier,do i have to take off my steering wheel in order to change my ignition?

NO NO NO NO! You do not have to remove it. Remove the plastic shroud around the turn signals and ignition. Three screws. You will see the ignition lock cylinder that goes from black key potion underneath steering column and to a switch with a plug in the side. To remove the key portion, were most Cavalier problems occur, disconnect negative battery terminal, simply put key in ignition and turn to run, take a small short flat head screwdriver or equivalent an push into the hole on the back side of the metal casting for the ignition. Gently pull the ignition out and disconnect the three wire passkey connector from instrument cluster. Installation is reverse of removal. I have personally don this a bunch of times. Remember you must program the new ignition to the ECM. To do this you must connect the battery, turn key to run position for ten minutes until theft light goes out, turn key back to off but DO NOT REMOVE, then start the car. Good Luck.
I have a 1997 cavalier,do i have to take off my steering wheel in order to change my ignition?
pretty much only way to replace it yes.. you sure thats whats wrong and not a battery problem like a battery cable
I have a 1997 cavalier,do i have to take off my steering wheel in order to change my ignition?
The air bag, the steering wheel, locking hub, signal switch, plus other things to get to that switch. Big job and special tools needed.
take it to a lock smith they will not pull off the wheel
yes you do......................................鈥?br>






if you need to reaplace it