Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why does my steering wheel shake over 50 mph?

Do I need an oil change? I am 300 miles overdue for one.

Am I not letting car warm up long enough? Only warmed up for 1 minute in below freezing weather.

Or is it something more serious?
Why does my steering wheel shake over 50 mph?
If this is the first time it happened, I would say cold flat spotted the tires, if after they warmed up it went away you are OK if not have a tire shop check them..Changing oil has nothing to do with it, however do not let that get to far off schedule or you will have other more serious problems
Why does my steering wheel shake over 50 mph?
More than likely your wheels are out of balance..go to a tire shop
Wheel alignment, plain and simple
the only reason it would do that is tire or suspension

1. tire out of balance

2. tire belt broke or slipped

3. tie rod ends

4. ball joints

5. bearings



on two occasions i had this happened. first, it was my lower ball joint. on the second one it was a combination of tie rod ends and a bad tire.
it would,nt have anything to do with the oil or letting it warm up. probably out of alignment or tires needs balancing. but of course it could also be a ball joint ir tie rod too.
either your tires need balanced or you have some loose parts in the frontend.