Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is it poor driving practice to allow the steering wheel to slide in your hands as you "unturn" during a turn?

I am a senior and, when I learned to drive, test points were deducted if I allowed the steering wheel to slide in my hands. My daughter's driving instructor told her that it is OK to do that. Have the rules changed over the years? Is it OK to let the wheel slide as long as you think you have adequate control while it happens?
Is it poor driving practice to allow the steering wheel to slide in your hands as you %26quot;unturn%26quot; during a turn?
I do it. That automatically makes it right.
Is it poor driving practice to allow the steering wheel to slide in your hands as you %26quot;unturn%26quot; during a turn?
I've done this... off and on.



for the most part I don't, I just release and grab again when I need to. I'm going to have to go out and pay more attention to my hands!



However, I think it's perfectly fine as long as you have control.



EDIT:



I paid attention to my driving yesterday, and it seems I keep my hands on the wheel and hold it through a turn. I don't slide the wheel in my hands. I follow through with the turn, and then turn the wheel back. I tried %26quot;sliding%26quot;, but I wasn't comfortable doing it.
When I took my test, the method was to pass the wheel through your hands, not let it slide. Maybe they've dumbed down the driving test like they have everything else.
That's weird because you're supposed to do that - at least in New Jersey.
I think whatever is comfortable to you, or what you think is better. If you feel like you can do it the other way... then do it.

I mean...

everyone is different... and now there aren't any rules on that I think. And I think you do have control you are coming out of a turn.

So I think it's ok.

That's what I would do.

Stacy M.
Ahhhhh! A senior is behind the wheel! RUNNNNNNN!



just joking.



Uh, we all do it.
I'm a senior also, and i'm telling you it is not safe to let the wheel slip in your hands. If you hit a pot hole it can turn the wheel faster than you can grab it. Stearing a car is hand and hand, meaning you may slide your hand on the wheel. say your making a right turn, pull on the wheel with your right hand and let the wheel slide in your left hand. Now slid your right hand back and contenue pulling to make turn. The wheel has to be worked with both hands so one hand always has a hold on it. You won't to see how this is done, watch a police officer drive, or a race car driver. I think your daughter miss under stood what her driving instructor was saying. If you know how, by all means show your daughter.
well, cars were different back when you learned to drive, power steering hasn't always been available.



when you turn and then let the wheel slide in your hand the car is going to straighten itself out.
My tester didnt care if I even used two hands, she just passed me. Maybe it's because I was driving a standard shift, idunno, But mine didnt seem to care.
When I took my driving test we weren't aloud to let it slide and I am 28 now. They were pretty strict on the driving test. Maybe things have changed.
Yes it is bad driving practice to do this. Lindsay
Yes, you wont pass your test if you drive like that.
To answer your question, yes it is poor practice. Educate and train with the proper techniques and rules, then when they have learned the right way, they can adapt their experiences and skills to the lot.

The instructor obviously slacked on his advice. It is not ok and it was poor personal judgment.