Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My 2001 neon makes a "thunking" when I turn the wheel and shakes?

When I turn my steering wheel changing directions I hear a thunking noise that seems to be coming from the from middle section of the underside of my car. It's most noticeable when I go back and forth... this makes it happen. I know that it's probably some kind of mechanism engaging and disengaging as I change directions but mine is louder than other chrysler vehicles of similar year I've compared to.



Along with this, I have occasionally noticed shaking while driving - most times if the wheel is just slightly to the left.



Any idea what's causing this and/or how much repairs would be?



CAR: 2001 Plymouth Neon -34k miles



other than this the car runs beautifully...



thanks
My 2001 neon makes a %26quot;thunking%26quot; when I turn the wheel and shakes?
changing tie rod ends wont hurt
My 2001 neon makes a %26quot;thunking%26quot; when I turn the wheel and shakes?
You need to have your CV joints checked, they are likely worn out, causing the clunking sound you hear when the wheel is turned. Alternately, you could have the entire axle replaced with a rebuilt unit, it's usually cheaper than replacing just the worn CV joint. Axles run anywhere from $50 to $90 at most auto parts stores.
Neon are known for their CV axles making the noise described I would start looking their and then if that wasn't the problem check the motor mounts and trans mount I recommend if it is a cv axle or motor mount have it replace by a cert mechanic unless you have the proper tools
dont drive it check under the car ur axel might be messed up or ur allignment.... or it can possibly be that ur car is to low so when u turn it can hit