Friday, September 23, 2011

Truck trouble? why does my steering wheel rumble?

I have a 95 ford f150 4x4. Its great but only recently i found that my steering wheel rumbles, and only in 3rd gear. its a 5 spd. My 4x4 is off and the hubs are on free. what is possibly causing my wheel to rumble. I got perfect tires. all inflated properly and a recent oil change. it only rumbles in third gear but why?
Truck trouble? why does my steering wheel rumble?
have a mechanic check your steering box.
Truck trouble? why does my steering wheel rumble?
The slop is probably coming from your steering box. Check the fluid level, maybe add some lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. Great stuff. If might just be that you need to tighten up the steering shaft. Or it could be a bad bearing in your steering linkage. Check the steering stableizer. It probably only does it in 3 gear because of the speed you are doing. Below 35 stays straight, about 50 stays straight. Check on how well it responds at different speeds. Good luck.