Friday, September 23, 2011

Why is my car and steering wheel vibrating?

I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe and it has just started vibrating whenever I am in Drive and stopped, or when I am accelerating on the freeway. The vibration seems to be really intense in the back seat as well as the steering wheel.



I JUST took this car to the mechanics for a brake check last week (because the brakes were clicking whenever I hit them) and now this has started. They fixed the rotors and changed a drive belt and told me the car was all good to go. I also just got new tires a month ago.



What could be wrong?
Why is my car and steering wheel vibrating?
It shouldn't have anything to do with the brake check if it's doing it while the car is stopped. My guess is it's the motor mounts or something malfunctioning in the engine.
Why is my car and steering wheel vibrating?
Could be a death wabble or your steering shaft need to be fixed
did they balance your tyres



out of balance tyres will cause this
One of the front tires are bad. jack it up and spin the tires, see which one is wobbling, you might have a bent rim or a bad tire that is not round anymore
you say you got new rotors and pads? maybe you have a belt broke in 1 of the tires or a bad tie rod or ball joint. it can even be a bad wheel bearing. even though you got new tires you still can get a bad 1.
Well it is called a Vibe for a reason ;) Kidding.

All the above posters who say its brakes or tires obviously didn't read your question very well. If the car does this while stopped its not in the wheels.

Does it make a rattling noise? Perhaps an exhaust clamp broke? Or perhaps your Catalytic converter is clogged (is there a check engine light?) These would cause a vibration through the car. But if its a VERY harsh vibration, and when you pop the hood and you can actually see your motor moving back an forth, I'd lean towards bad motor mounts or a possible problem inside the engine. But you did say it was worse in the back seat which leads me to believe it could be the exhaust clamps/problem in the exhaust system. You would really need to give us more information about the actual problem for a more clear answer (but I do understand that its hard to do when you really don't much about it.) You can take a quick peek while the car is running and see if your exhaust is wobbling or if you see any perforations in the exhaust. Good luck!
Make sure your power steering fluid is full.