Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why is my steering wheel starting to lock while I'm driving?

I drive a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT. I've recently had to replace the battery in the car, but a couple of days after replacing it, the steering wheel has started to have some resistance while I've been driving. I've checked the power steering levels and everything seems to be fine under the hood. This is starting to become a problem because the locking occurs after I've started to drive on interstates to and from work, which is an obvious hazard. What can be the problem? Does it have anything to do with the battery change????
Why is my steering wheel starting to lock while I'm driving?
Check the power steering fluid for its colour. It should be clear, if grey and murky, this is indicating that the rack and pinion seals are deteriorating and the rack and pinion is about to fail. Check for power steering belt tension, should be fairly tight but not overly tight. Hope this helps.
Why is my steering wheel starting to lock while I'm driving?
does it lock or does the power steering just give out? theres a good chance your altenator or belt is shot
sounds like your rack and pinion is going bad, have it checked by a pro.

we replaces one two weeks ago for the very same issue
  • com and interop
  • dynamic editing
  •